Why are you doing this?
Supporting email is a very real cost to our business. Since acquiring Netsmart we have continued to host and support these email addresses, though regrettably this is no longer sustainable.
What does this mean for me?
We would love to help you migrate everything over to a new email service. We could help you out with organising for your emails to be forwarded over to a new email during the notice period, so that you have the minimum of hassle changing over. In the end we’d hope that you end up with an even better service than before.
What do I need to do?
We’d recommend you look at options for a new email address. After that, log into your Zimbra account using the below options, and you can set your Netsmart email to forward all of your new messages over to the new address. Then you’d need to get in touch with people, and log into your various accounts, to update them with the new address to make sure you don’t miss any after the 1st of September.
What email service do you recommend?
At Lightwire we’re all big fans of Gmail, by Google. Firstly, it’s free, and tied into Google’s ecosystem giving you access to a huge number of tools. Their anti-spam function is world-class, and they offer a high level of security, with features like two-factor authentication. Even better, it’s not tied to an internet provider, so your email address can move with you wherever you go.
If Gmail doesn’t seem like a great option, you could choose from Hotmail, Outlook, Yahoo, and more
How do I forward my email?
Log into your Zimbra webmail at https://mail.netsmart.net.nz, and then:
- Open the Preferences tab and in the Overview pane select Mail.
- In the Receiving Messages section and in When a message arrives, Forward a copy to, add the complete forwarding address.
- If you want to automatically delete the email from your account, enable Don't keep a local copy of messages.
- Click Save.
I'm changing email provider, how do I keep my existing messages?
If you use an email program such as Outlook or Thunderbird your existing email messages will be stored on your computer, even after the Netsmart retirement.
You can download a copy of your old messages and your contacts from the Zimbra webmail service at https://mail.netsmart.net.nz. Instructions on how to do this are found here
You would be able to easily copy any existing messages into a new Gmail account, as long as they haven't been deleted from the Netsmart mail server. This way you can store all of your old messages in Gmail for later reference, while receiving new messages at your new Gmail address.
- Go to Settings > Accounts, then under "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)," click "Add a POP3 mail account you own."
- Enter the e-mail address of the account you want to migrate (your Netsmart e-mail address).
- Enter the password for the Netsmart e-mail account you're migrating
- Make sure that the POP server is set to mail.netsmart.net.nz, and the port is set to 995.
- Click the Add Account Button.
- Check your mail fetch history to make sure your messages are being imported. Go back to Settings > Accounts, then under "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)," click on "View history."
Depending on how much old e-mail you have, the import process shouldn't take very long, and the mail fetch history should help you figure out if the process is complete.
Once you've verified that the import is done, you can remove the account from Gmail. It wouldn't hurt to leave it enabled, though, just in case you get new messages there in the future. If you're sure you want to delete it from Gmail, go back to Settings > Accounts, then under "Check mail from other accounts (using POP3)," click "delete" next to the account.